By Bryan Dietzler
The first week of the 2017 NFL season has come and gone and it was one of the most exciting that we have seen in a long time. There is a new leader at the top of the poll while there is plenty of shifting going on in the middle of it. The Jets remain at the bottom after a tough first game while some of the teams that I had originally thought would remain at the bottom surprised me.
So how did things shake out this week? Let’s find out as we take a look at my week two NFL Power Poll right here on NFLGridirongab. Comments are more than welcome.
- Green Bay Packers- (LW3) The Packers looked shaky at first but got things going strong as the game against the Seahawks went on. Their defense looked good which is scary for the rest of the NFC.
- Atlanta Falcons-(LW 2) The Falcons offense looked a little shaky on Sunday but their defense is better. Can the offense get hot especially with Green Bay coming up?
- Pittsburgh Steelers-(LW 4) It wasn’t pretty but the Steelers got a win. This team will need to play better against some of the top-tier competition they will face this season.
- Kansas City Chiefs-(LW7) The Chiefs jump up a bit thanks to their big win over the New England Patriots. It looks like they may have found an offense.
- New England Patriots-(LW 1) I don’t expect the Patriots to sit here for long but they have some things to be concerned about. But hey, it was just one game, right?
- Dallas Cowboys-(LW 5) The Cowboys look poised to make another strong attempt at earning a Super Bowl berth this season. Can they continue to find the same magic they had in 2016?
- Oakland Raiders-(LW 5) Yes, the Raiders won but they fall a little in this poll because of how talented the teams ahead of them are. The Raiders have talent; they just need to keep piling up the wins and prove their doubters wrong.
- Philadelphia Eagles-(LW 12) The Eagles talent showed strong against the Washington Redskins Sunday. If this team can keep it up they will be playoff bound.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers-(LW 9) They don’t move up or down because they had a bye week in week one because of Hurricane Irma.
- Seattle Seahawks- (LW 6) The Seahawks were too easily shut down by the Packers on Sunday. Was it good defense by the Packers or a poor Seattle offense?
- Detroit Lions-(LW 14) Matthew Stafford showed up big and looked like he was worthy of his big contract. Will the Lions make winning a consistent thing?
- Carolina Panthers-(LW 13) A win is a win. Maybe they are on their way to competing with the Atlanta Falcons for the division lead.
- Arizona Cardinals-(LW 10) The Cardinals drop a few spots because of their loss to the Lions. There is trouble on defense that’s easy to see. Their star running back, David Johnson will be out for 2-3 months making things difficult. Will the Cardinals survive?
- Baltimore Ravens-(LW 18) The Ravens looked good on Sunday against the Bengals as their defense pitched a shutout. Can they keep this up?
- Tennessee Titans-(LW 11) I know that the preseason isn’t an indicator of how things go in the regular season but you could tell they might be in for some trouble. Can they get on the right track?
- Denver Broncos-(LW 20) Despite their problems at quarterback, the Broncos managed to earn a win on Monday night. Can they keep it up and give the Raiders something to worry about?
- New York Giants-(LW 15) The Giants lost a key divisional matchup this Sunday and proved they have some work to do. It was thought they could make a run for the division title and they have the talent to do so but can they do it?
- Washington Redskins-(LW 16) The Redskins could end up being in a tight race with the Giants for the third spot in the NFC East. Dallas and the Eagles are talented teams and may be the top dogs in the division.
- Miami Dolphins-(LW 15) The Dolphins don’t move this week because they had the week off because of Hurricane Irma.
- Minnesota Vikings-(LW 25) The Vikings are big movers in this week’s poll. They played a very good game against the Saints Monday night and surprised some people. Bigger things are coming for these guys.
- Los Angeles Chargers-(LW 17) Well LA almost won but, instead, lost in dramatic fashion. They should be able to pick it up and get a win next week against the Miami Dolphins.
- Jacksonville Jaguars-(LW 27) The Jaguars jump up a bit thanks to a convincing win over the quarterback challenged Texans. Has this team finally figured it out?
- Buffalo Bills-(LW 26) A win against the New York Jets move this team up a couple of spots. Hopefully, for Buffalo, they can continue their winning ways but it’s going to be difficult.
- Houston Texans-(LW 21) it’s possible the Texans could fall further before the season is over. A new quarterback, DeShaun Watson, will make things interesting that’s for sure. Just how well can he do?
- Indianapolis Colts-(LW 22) The Colts slide a bit thanks to a week one loss. Without Andrew Luck this team struggles so hopefully he will be back soon and help them get on the right path.
- Los Angeles Rams-(LW 30) The Rams had a convincing win showing that they have a strong defense. Can the offense develop while the defense maintains its high level of play?
- New Orleans Saints-(LW 23) The Saints had a very poor game against the Vikings on Monday night. Minnesota shut Drew Brees down and made him look human.
- Chicago Bears-(LW 29) The Bears get to move up a spot because they played so well in Week One. They nearly beat last year’s Super Bowl runners up. This team has a ways to go but they are headed in the right direction.
- Cleveland Browns-(LW 28) The Browns didn’t look too bad against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brighter days are ahead for 2016’s worst team.
- Cincinnati Bengals-(LW 24) Ouch! That was a tough loss on Sunday. If the Bengals don’t pick it up and get better, they may end up costing Marvin Lewis his job. But it’s still early so no time to panic yet.
- San Francisco 49ers-(LW 31) The 49ers should be going down in this poll but here you can only go one spot lower and that’s currently reserved for the Jets. San Francisco has a lot of work to do.
- New York Jets-(LW 32) The Jets are still basement dwellers in Week Two. Let’s see if we get any improvement out of them in this Sunday’s game.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
NFL Gridiron Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NFL Gridiron Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest NFL news.