By Bryan Dietzler
There were some great games in the NFL in Week Eleven, and it has left this weeks’ power poll in a state of flux. There is a lot of movement in the poll this week as teams made some statements in their play.
The Kansas City Chiefs take a bit of a tumble this week after losing to one of the worst teams in the NFL, the New York Giants. The Giants rise a little bit because of the win. The Chargers take a little bit of a climb up the poll thanks to a big win. Of course, the Eagles will stay on top thanks to their victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night.
Where does your team rank find out as you look at the Week Twelve sometimes late but always consistent NFL power poll.
- Philadelphia Eagles-(LW 1, 9-1) The Eagles have cemented themselves as the best team in the NFL, clearly, with a big second half against Dallas Sunday night. Can they be stopped?
- New England Patriots-(LW 2, 8-2) The Patriots shellacked Oakland in Mexico and have put themselves in the top spot in the AFC. They are beatable, however and someone could take them out in the playoffs.
- Pittsburgh Steelers-(LW 3, 8-2) If this team can be consistent, they can be one of the best in the league. They have the best chance of unseating the New England Patriots in the playoffs.
- New Orleans Saints-(LW 4, 8-2) The Saints just about lost on Sunday but pulled even and then went ahead to win. The Saints are for real folks. They are clearly playoff bound and could do some damage in the postseason.
- Minnesota Vikings-(LW 6, 8-2) The Vikings move up a spot and should be considered the third-best team in the NFC. They appear to be poised to lock down the NFC North and make the playoffs.
- Atlanta Falcons-(LW 10, 6-4) The Falcons are starting to play better and are going to make the NFC South the most interesting division in all of football. If they can keep winning, they are going to make for some great games between the Saints and Panthers yet this season.
- Los Angeles Rams-(LW 7, 7-3) The Rams lost a pretty tough game against a superior Vikings team. They showed that they still have some growing to do on both sides of the ball but are still one of the better teams in the NFC right now.
- Jacksonville Jaguars-(LW 14, 7-3) All this team does is win. They deserve to be ranked a little higher in this poll but still haven’t convinced me of having a lofty status just yet. Let’s see how they continue to do and whether they make the playoffs.
- Carolina Panthers-(LW 9, 7-3) The Panthers were on a bye last week and did not move up or down in this poll.
- Detroit Lions-(LW 12, 6-4) It took some doing, but the Lions were able to beat the lowly Bears on Sunday and look poised to contend for a playoff run depending on how the Vikings and other teams do. This team is talented and are showing up just how talented they are.
- Seattle Seahawks-(LW 8, 6-4) Seattle lost a close one against the now rising Atlanta Falcons. This team has concerns on defense as well as their offensive line and may not be able to do too much in the playoffs as a result.
- Kansas City Chiefs-(LW 5, 6-4) The Chiefs drop way down in my poll this week after losing to the NFC’s worst teams. This team has issues and can’t seem to figure things out. Granted, they are still the best in the AFC West and may make the playoffs as a result but in the end, will they deserve to make the postseason?
- Tennessee Titans-(LW 11, 6-4) The Titans are good, but they aren’t good enough to hand with the likes of the Steelers who beat them soundly on Thursday night. Marcus Mariotta seems to be taking steps back. The Titans may make the playoffs, but they will be out of them quickly.
- Dallas Cowboys-(LW 13, 5-5) Dallas’ ship is sinking fast. After hanging with the Philadelphia Eagles for a half, they were blown out in the second half and have few answers. They just aren’t cutting it on both sides of the ball. This team is close to working their way out of the playoff picture in 2017.
- Washington Redskins-(LW 17, 4-6) The Redskins had the best of the New Orleans Saints for a few minutes but let their lead slip away. Problems abound on both sides of the ball and these guys have a lot of work to do to be effective NFL contenders.
- Houston Texans-(LW 19, 4-6) The Texans didn’t do that bad against the lowly Arizona Cardinals on Sunday earning a nice win. There is some potential here but without their key playmakers, they just can’t finish putting it together. It’s a swing and a miss for this team to get into the playoffs this year.
- Green Bay Packers-(LW 15, 5-5) I can’t remember the last time the Green Bay Packers didn’t score in a game. This team is sinking fast and will find it hard pressed to win that many more games this season.
- Buffalo Bills-(LW 16, 5-5) The Bills played a horrible game on Sunday after starting out the year so strong. Who’s to blame? The players? The coaching staff? This team is on its way down and may not recover. Are their playoff hopes dashed?
- Baltimore Ravens-(LW 24, 5-5) The Ravens dominated the Green Bay Packers on Sunday and looked good doing it. They shut them out and scored a lot of points making them look like a complete team. Can they play like this the rest of the season?
- Oakland Raiders-(LW 18, 4-6) Lots of talent on this team but they just can’t seem to put anything good together. After making the playoffs last season they seemed destined to miss them this year and head back to the drawing board.
- Arizona Cardinals-(LW 20, 4-6) This is a team that we thought would do better this year but just isn’t. And they could be stuck near the bottom of their division for at least a couple more seasons if they can’t get their quarterback situation right. If Palmer retires this team is in trouble.
- New York Jets-(LW 22, 4-6) The Jets were on a bye last week and did not move up or down in this poll.
- Cincinnati Bengals-(LW 25, 4-6) The Bengals are one of those teams that you don’t hear much about because they aren’t very good. They have been beating some bad teams but have been playing some teams tough. This is a wait until next year kind of team.
- Los Angeles Chargers-(LW 26, 4-6) I think the game on Sunday was a little bit of the Chargers being good but the Buffalo Bills being bad. The Chargers took full advantage of all of Buffalo’s mistakes and won the game big. Can they keep that momentum going?
- Miami Dolphins-(LW 23, 4-6) Without Jay Cutler this team struggles. With him they struggle. This team is somewhat of a mess this year and needs a lot of help to get right. Can they get that help with Adam Gase?
- Chicago Bears-(LW 27, 3-7) The Bears have been playing teams tough all year except for a couple of games. This team has made some progress but injuries, play calling and some weaknesses at certain positions have hurt them. Will John Fox survive to see one more year as their head coach?
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers-(LW 29, 4-6) Don’t look now but the Bucs have two wins in a row. But they won’t be doing much beyond sitting in the basement of the NFC South thanks to the immense talent ahead of them in that division.
- Indianapolis Colts-(LW 28, 3-7) The Colts were on a bye last week and did not move up or down in this poll.
- New York Giants-(LW 31, 2-8) The Giants won a surprise game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday. Either the Giants were up for that game or the Chiefs were down for it, or both but the win was a surprise. Will the Giants win more games?
- San Francisco 49ers-(LW 30, 1-9) The 49ers were on a bye last week and did not move up or down in this poll.
- Denver Broncos-(LW 21, 3-7) Will the offense get any better after the firing of offensive coordinator Mike McCoy? We will find out. Something must help this team.
- Cleveland Browns-(LW 32, 0-10) The Browns have been close to winning a couple of times this year. They are bound to get at least one win, aren’t they?