By Bryan Dietzler
Well, now that I have finally settled on a title for this thing I think this will be easier to find.
Week Two in the NFL was an exciting week as several teams we didn’t think would win won their games. We know that some people thought that Dallas would beat the Broncos but the Broncos stuck it to the Cowboys. And how about the Falcons and what they did to last week’s number one team the Green Bay Packers? They rise to the top of this week’s poll in convincing fashion.
There was a lot of movement in the poll for Week Three. Who moved where and why? Let’s find out as we dive into my sometimes late but always consistent Week Three NFL power poll.
- Atlanta Falcons-(LW 2) The Falcons had a big showing on Sunday night against the Packers. Can they keep it up and dominate the NFC?
- Pittsburgh Steelers-(LW3) It’s a little tough to see them in this number two spot, or at least be comfortable with them there. They are going to have to put together a long string of victories or at least defeat some top teams to remain near the top of this poll.
- Kansas City Chiefs-(LW 4) These guys just keep on winning. Could this be the best Chiefs team we have seen in a while?
- New England Patriots-(LW 5) New England earned a convincing win against a weaker team and looked like the Patriots of 2016. Can they keep it up?
- Green Bay Packers-(LW 1) The Packers slip a little bit this week but expect them to pick it back up and play better as the season goes on. There is too much talent on this team for them to consistently falter.
- Oakland Raiders-(LW 7) The Raiders head to 2-0 and keep pace with the Denver Broncos for the lead in their division. They haven’t been dominant, but they are stacking up the wins.
- Detroit Lions-(LW 11) The Lions are beating teams in convincing fashion. Is it finally their year?
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers-(LW 9) The Bucs beat a bad Bears team. Can they hang with the likes of the Atlanta Falcons?
- Carolina Panthers-(LW 12) The Panthers are winning but not winning in resounding fashion. Their offense needs to get going, score some points and help match the efforts of their defense.
- Baltimore Ravens-(LW 14) With their defense as strong as usual, the Ravens have gotten off to a 2-0 start. They might be the best competition the Steelers have in their division right now.
- Denver Broncos-(LW 16) The Broncos jump up and could be even higher if the teams ahead of them weren’t so talented. Denver has shocked this writer with their two wins. Are they the real deal?
- Dallas Cowboys-(LW6) The Cowboys take a tumble after a horrible game against Denver. They can dominate if they can just come together on both sides of the ball.
- Philadelphia Eagles-(LW 8) There is a lot of talent on this team. They met one of the best teams in the NFL and lost, but the can get things moving in the right direction again.
- Seattle Seahawks-(LM 10) Seattle earned a win this week but still has issues to take care of on offense. Their offensive line is one of the worst in football, and if they don’t get better, they will be going nowhere in 2017.
- Arizona Cardinals-(LW 13) Yes, Arizona got a win, but they are a team in transition. They have talent but cannot seem to get it all together and dominate. Can they improve as the season goes on?
- Tennessee Titans-(LW 15) Once again, the talent ahead of them prevents Tennessee from moving up in this poll. They still have some work to do but have potential.
- Miami Dolphins-(LW 19) Can Miami win with Jay Cutler at the helm? The answer is yes, for now.
- Washington Redskins-(LW 19) The NFC East may be wide open. If the Redskins can continue to win they might be able to be the top dog in their division.
- New York Giants-(LW 17) The Giants boast a ton of talent everywhere except their offensive line. Can they take care of the problems there and start winning games?
- Houston Texans-(LW 24) Not a bad win against a bad team. Have they finally found their quarterback?
- Minnesota Vikings-(LW 20) Minnesota couldn’t get anything going against the Steelers. After a strong first week but a poor second week, which Vikings team will show up in Week Three?
- Jacksonville Jaguars-(LW 22) The Jaguars looked like the Jaguars we know in Week Two. How will their do against the Baltimore Ravens in London? Will they make a game of it?
- Buffalo Bills-(LW 23) The Bills offense played a very good Panther’s defense and was stymied. Can they pick it up against the Broncos Sunday? No, they can’t.
- Los Angeles Rams-(LW 26) The Rams lost last weekend but still move up a spot. This is a talented defensive team that should be able to win a few more games this season.
- Indianapolis Colts-(LW 25) The Colts are going to get Andrew Luck back soon. Can he help them finally get into the win column?
- Los Angeles Chargers-(LW 21) The Chargers are “almost” good enough to win but haven’t been able to close out games. This team is truly better than their 0-2 record indicates.
- Cleveland Browns-(LW 29) Odd to see the Brown’s move up a couple of spots, right? Well, that’s because the teams below them are less talented. If Cleveland could put it together, they could be a very decent team.
- New Orleans Saints-(LW 27) The Saints are better than this. They have to be better than this. Time for them to step it up, get it done and quit being underachievers.
- Chicago Bears-(LW 28) The Bears only slip one spot even though their loss was embarrassing. This team has a talented defense but not much on offense. They are still more talented than the teams below them.
- San Francisco 49ers-(LW 31) The 49ers get to move up a spot because the teams below them are easily the worst in the NFL. While San Francisco may not get a lot of wins in 2017 their future is bright.
- Cincinnati Bengals-(LW 30) If I could have the Bengals and the Jet’s be tied I would do that but I can’t. Maybe firing their offensive coordinator will help but this team may still be tough to watch. I think it’s safe to say that Marvin Lewis will be unemployed at the end of this season.
- New York Jets-(LW 32) Still the worst team in the league with no way to climb out of this poll’s basement yet. The Jets need a lot of help.