By Bryan Dietzler
The wild card round is done, and we saw four good teams exit the playoffs this past weekend. Now there are eight teams that are left. Some of the big heavy hitters will play this weekend including the New England Patriots and the Minnesota Vikings. Will the number one teams continue to the championship round or will they fall?
We shall soon find out.
These rankings consider the eight teams that are left in the playoffs. We will include a little information about how we think each team will do in the week ahead and who might come out on top. The playoffs are always difficult to predict and this year’s group of games is no exception. But as we drive closer to the Super Bowl, the picture of who might go becomes a little clearer.
So, without further delay, here is the Divisional Round Sometimes Late but Always Consistent NFL Power Poll. Where does your team rank?
- New England Patriots-(LW 1) Still no change here. They are still the best team in the playoffs but could get bested by someone else. Will they make it back to the big game again and earn yet another Super Bowl victory? Right now, it’s looking like that will happen.
- Minnesota Vikings-(LW 2) The Vikings are poised to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl should they be able to get past their next two opponents. There are some that don’t have a lot of faith in the Vikings, but they have proven themselves to be the most balanced team in the NFC. Will they make it past the divisional round and compete for a spot in the Super Bowl?3.
- Pittsburgh Steelers-(LW 3) This is still the team that has the best chance of beating the New England Patriots before they reach the Super Bowl. Will they have enough to do that and get to the Super Bowl themselves or will the Steelers fall short?
- New Orleans Saints-(LW 5) I think the Saints could be a little higher but after their struggles against the Panthers, I think they have some issues. Minnesota is a tough team with the league’s best defense. Can the Saints topple the Vikings and keep marching towards the Super Bowl. They are still a favorite to make it all the way.
- Atlanta Falcons-(LW 8) Don’t look now but the Falcons may be the surprise team of the playoffs. Sure, they have a hard road ahead, but they have the experience and the talent to get all the way back to the big game. Granted, they played an inexperienced Rams team, but they played well. Now let’s see how they do in their second playoff game.
- Philadelphia Eagles-(LW 4) Why do I get this sinking feeling that the Eagles could be one and done in the playoffs? They are going to need precision play from Nick Foles and a great performance from their defense for them to win their first playoff game. Will they find the magic they had earlier this season and win this weekend?
- Jacksonville Jaguars-(LW 10) The Jaguars barely escaped with a win against the Buffalo Bills. Their defense was suffocating but their offense was bad. It’s doubtful they will be able to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend but at least they got as far as they did. There are bigger things ahead for the Jaguars in 2018.
- Tennessee Titans-(LW 11) Did we see a bad Kansas City team or a resilient Tennessee team last Saturday? It seems like it might have been a little bit of both. Now they face the juggernaut that is New England. It’s not likely they will win but this team knows upsets and just might pull one off.