Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon said in a televised interview Thursday that he’ll be sufficiently healthy to play for the Redskins in the 2013 season but he still might not be at full capacity.
“I’ll be healthy enough to play,” Garcon said during an appearance on the NFL Network, according to a transcript provided by the league-owned TV channel. “I can’t say I’ll be 100 percent, but I’ll be back out there helping the team in any way possible.”
Garcon said previously he would not undergo surgery for the torn ligament near the second toe in his right foot that plagued him last season. He said during Thursday’s TV appearance that it’s unclear how fully he will participate in offseason practices with the Redskins.
“I’ll be rehabbing and doing whatever I’m able to do,” Garcon said. “The trainers will let me know and we won’t try to win a Super Bowl in April, but we’ll try to move ahead.”
Garcon has said repeatedly since hurting his foot last season that he wanted to avoid surgery, in part because he’d been given no guarantees by doctors that surgery would solve the problem. He played 10 of the Redskins’ 16 regular season games last season, finishing with 44 catches for 633 yards and four touchdowns.