By Brandon Sweeney
It has been a big first day of free agency, and rumors are still flying all over the league. If you are a little late on the signings today, this will catch you up! This article will give you some recap on what happened today, and my top five signings as of yet.
Colts have signed LB Erik Walden, OT Gosder Cherilus, CB Greg Toler, and G Donald Thomas
Eagles have signed DT Isaac Sopoaga, S Patrick Chung, CB Bradley Fletcher, and FB James Casey
Dolphins sign WR Mike Wallace, LB Dannell Ellerbe, and LB Phillip Wheeler
Browns sign LB Paul Kruger and DT Desmond Bryant
Ravens sign DT Chris Canty
Chiefs Sign DE Mike DeVito and TE Anthony Fasano
Bears sign T Jermon Bushrod
Lions sign WR Domenik Hixon
Broncos sign G Louis Vazquez
Titans sign G Andy Levitre
5. The 5th best signing today was the Dolphins coming to terms with former Ravens’ linebacker Dannell Ellerbe. The contract is a 5 year, $35 million deal that will give the Dolphins an up and coming solid linebacker. Ellerbe filled in for Ray Lewis last season and helped the team reach the playoffs to win the Super Bowl in the end. Ellerbe had 92 total tackles last season with 4.5 sacks. I feel this was a great pick up for the Dolphins.
4. The 4th best free agency signing today was the Eagles landing former 49ers DT, Isaac Sopoaga. The 330 pound stout nose tackle is a wrecking machine and a very good plug in the middle of the defensive line. Will automatically make the Eagles front side better and stronger. Just 27 tackles and a single sack last season, but stats are not key for a defensive lineman. All-in-all, a good sign for the Eagles. (3 years, $12 Million)
3. The 3rd best sign today was Browns walking away with linebacker Paul Kruger. Kruger continues to get better each year when it comes to getting to the quarterback. Racked up 9 sacks last year and will help this young defense in their new 3-4 defensive scheme. (5 years, $40 Million)
2. The 2nd best sign of the 2013 free agency class as of yet, is Mike Wallace agreeing to terms with the Miami Dolphins. The only reason this does not make number one, is I believe the Dolphins spent too much money on Wallace. Wallace drops the ball too much for my taste for $30 Million in guaranteed money. However, he is certainly a deep threat and his highlights speak for themselves.
1. The best free agent signing of today was the Indianapolis Colts coming away with tackle Gosder Cherilus. Cherilus is a big tackle that will be a huge help right away for Andrew Luck and the Colts. Cherilus started all 16 games last season and really played at a high level last season for the Lions. Colts’ front office stoked about getting Cherilus. (Contract details not released yet)
Follow NFL Gridiron Gab on Twitter and Like us on Facebook!