Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones would like for free agent outside linebacker Anthony Spencer to remain with the club, Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News reports.
“We’re always in the business of keeping great football players,” Jones said Tuesday. “And he is one of those.”
In 2012, Spencer, a sixth-year veteran, had his most productive season after being pegged with an $8.8 million franchise tag last March.
Spencer led the team in tackles with 95 and accumulated a career-high total of 11 sacks. His performance was rewarded with an invitation to participate in his first Pro Bowl last month and he is expected to be one of the most coveted defenders on the open market.
Spencer’s situation is complicated by the fact that he would likely be re-positioned at end in the Cowboys’ 4-3 scheme that will be implemented under new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.
It’s a move that Woy said Spencer would embrace. But while there appears to be a desire on both sides to work out a deal, Jones said it’s too early to tell if one will be completed.
“Unfortunately you’ve got to make difficult decisions,” Jones said. “What that will entail we don’t know quite yet. We’ll be moving forward in a quick way. But obviously Anthony Spencer represents everything we want to be about. He plays hard. His leadership is tremendous. And then on top of that, he’s a great football player.”