By Bryan Dietzler
I have been doing a ton of coverage about the draft recently, as it relates to the Chicago Bears, so I feel I am familiar with the prospects in it. I thought that I would throw my “hat” in the ring and take a stab at a first-round mock draft. Feel free to comment or criticize what I have said here. This is just my look at what I think will happen in the draft’s first round. My best guess.
The explanations are short. There isn’t a great need to say much. I just give the name, school, and position of the pick and a short blurb about why I think they should be drafted by that team.
So, without further ado, here is my one and only NFL mock draft for 2017.
- Cleveland Browns-Myles Garrett-DE-Texas A&M-Hands down the best player in the 2017 NFL Draft. Cleveland should take him at number one.
- San Francisco 49ers-Solomon Thomas-DE-Stanford-The 49ers may just go “nuts” and grab a quarterback here, but Thomas is the second best player in the draft. He has to go here.
- Chicago Bears-Jamal Adams-S-LSU-The Bears need help at safety there is no question about that. Adams is the best in the draft and could help them out immensely. He’s a must have.
- Jacksonville Jaguars-Jonathan Allen-DT-Alabama-The Jaguars need to focus on their defensive line in this draft. Allen could be big for them if he slips to number four.
- Tennessee Titans-Malik Hooker-S-Ohio State-Teams may roll the dice on Hooker who has some medical issues. If he does pan out, he could be the second-best safety in this draft and one of the best in the NFL.
- New York Jets-Mitchell Trubisky-QB-North Carolina-There is going to be a lot of reaching for players in this draft, especially quarterbacks. The Jets need a quarterback and will reach for Trubisky at number six.
- Los Angeles Chargers-Mike Williams-WR-Clemson-Maybe a little bit of a reach here but the Chargers need the help, and he’s the best receiver in the draft.
- Carolina Panthers-Leonard Fournette-RB-LSU-The Panthers need help at running back, and Fournette is the best in the draft. Can he help keep some pressure, off Cam Newton and bring balance to the Panther’s offense?
- Cincinnati Bengals-Derek Barnett-DE-Tennessee-The Bengals are looking to upgrade their defensive line, and Barnett is the next best pass rusher available. He could pay huge dividends in the future.
- Buffalo Bills-Marshon Lattimore-CB-Ohio State-The Bills could use some wide receiver help but the value pick here is Lattimore. Cornerback help is needed, and this is the guy the Bills should take.
- New Orleans Saints-Taco Charleton-DE-Michigan-New Orleans has to beef up their defensive line, in particular, their edge rushing. Charleton should be able to help them do that and be a rock for years to come.
- Cleveland Browns-DeShaun Watson-QB-Clemson-The Browns have to take a quarterback at some point, and they will reach for Watson. Watson should go later, but because of the need, the Browns will take him here.
- Arizona Cardinals-Marlon Humphrey-CB-Alabama-A replacement for Carson Palmer could be found here, but if they choose not to go with a signal caller, then they should look at cornerback. Humphrey could be an All-Pro in the league soon.
- Philadelphia Eagles-Dalvin Cook-RB-Florida State-The Eagles have needs in several areas but running back may be their biggest one. Cook, if he’s available, would help take some of the pressure off Carson Wentz and give their offense an important added dimension.
- Indianapolis Colts-Cam Robinson-OT-Alabama-The Colts could go a few different ways here but for the need and the value, Robinson should be their guy. He can be an instant starter and upgrade their offensive line right away.
- Baltimore Ravens-John Ross-WR-Washington-Giving quarterback Joe Flacco another target to throw the ball to is a must. Grabbing the speedy Ross could help give the Ravens a more potent passing game and get them back to playoff contention.
- Washington Redskins-Christian McCaffery-RB-Stanford-Linebacker could also be a consideration here but the Redskins could use some ground game improvement. McCaffery could give them that.
- Tennessee Titans-Tre-Davaious White-CB-LSU-The Titans continue to bolster their secondary in my mock draft by taking White here. With an improved secondary, their defense will improve overall and this team will continue to move further towards playoff contention.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers-O.J. Howard-TE-Alabama-The Buccaneers have other needs but the wise pick here would be Howard. He would give quarterback Jameis Winston someone else to throw the ball too and help improve their passing attack.
- Denver Broncos-Garrett Bolles-OT-Utah-The Broncos will have to upgrade their offensive line in this draft so they should start with Bolles. He’s one of the best offensive tackles in the draft and would help protect whomever they have at quarterback.
- Detroit Lions-Haason Reddick-OLB-Temple-If, the Lions, can improve on defense then they can get closer to making the playoffs. They need to get their pass rush going and Reddick can help them do that.
- Miami Dolphins-Ruben Foster-LB-Alabama-Foster may fall a bit because he failed a drug test but he won’t get out of the first round. If he can prove he can stay clean, he just may be a Dolphin.
- New York Giants-Ryan Ramczyk-OT-Wisconsin-The Giants have a few needs and offensive tackle is one of them. Ramczyk can come in and start right away helping alleviate some of the problems that the Giants have had on their offensive line. He would be a perfect fit.
- Oakland Raiders-Malik McDowell-DT-Michigan State-If, the Raiders, could get a big guy like McDowell to help beef up their defensive line, they could have a better defense. An all-star on the line and Kahlil Mack at linebacker could make the Raider’s defense deadly.
- Houston Texans-DeShone Kizer-QB-Notre Dame-The Texans need a quarterback and they are going to reach here with Kizer. I don’t think that any of the quarterbacks at the top of this draft are worthy of a first round pick but teams need them. So, they will go much earlier than they should.
- Seattle Seahawks-Gareon Conley-CB-Ohio State-Seattle is going to try to beef up its secondary and they should get Conley here at number 26. With Conley and Richard Sherman back there, they will have a formidable secondary once again.
- Kansas City Chiefs-Adoree’ Jackson-CB-USC-Don’t be surprised if the Chiefs think about or go after a quarterback here. They can wait another year on that though. Jackson would be a perfect fit here and would help upgrade the Chief’s secondary in year one.
- Dallas Cowboys-Charles Harris-DE-Missouri-Dallas needs to work on defense now and grabbing Harris could help them there. A good cornerback or safety would be big here as well.
- Green Bay Packers-T.J. Watt-OLB-Wisconsin-With Julius Peppers headed back to Carolina the Packers need a pass rusher. A cornerback or a safety would also be a good choice. The defense needs help and this is the pick to do it with.
- Pittsburgh Steelers-Corey Davis-WR-Western Michigan-Adding another wide receiver to help quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would go a long ways towards getting them into a Super Bowl. Couple Davis with Antonio Brown and you have a pretty dangerous combination.
- Atlanta Falcons-Forrest Lamp-OG-Western Kentucky-After their defensive collapse in the Super Bowl, Atlanta could and should go for a solid defensive player. But, for the value, if Lamp is still here at 31, the Falcons have the need and should take him. They can stock up on defense a little later on as this is a deep defensive draft.
- New Orleans Saints-Obi Melifonwu-S-Connecticut-I had Jabrill Peppers here but I think his positive drug test may force him out of the first round. Melifonwu is a high riser and makes sense for the Saints. He is a future All-Pro.